raising the funds, to continue studying,


Hello?
I have studied electrical engineering at Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, which is one of the best universities in South Korea.
While I was working for KT, I had needed to evaluate the new enterprise plans, whether they could be profitable.
I had read several books about the economic theories, to perform better at KT, and, while I was reading such books, I discovered that I was interested in economics, and I wanted to begin studying economics, at the formal education settings, in the United States.
I entered the master's program in economics at San Diego State University in 2008, and I have done my best, to learn as much as I could, about economics, in the university. As a result, I gained the almost all A's in the courses that I had taken in the university, with the GPA of 3.97, when I graduated from the university in 2010.

While I was taking the course, ECON 740, at San Diego State University, I have read the paper written by David Giles, in 2007.
In Giles (2007), the author concluded that a number one hit’s ‘life-at-the-top’ is enhanced significantly if it is recorded by a female solo artist, if it is an instrumental piece, or if it is able to ‘bounce back’ for a second spell. After reading this paper, I have made a number of corrections on the dataset offered on the author’s homepage and extended it up to 2008. As a result of the corrections, survival characteristics of the number one hit songs have changed in that the significance of the instrumental pieces disappeared.
In addition to these corrections, I have asked five new questions about survival characteristics to the corrected and extended dataset. As a result, in addition to the survival characteristics which Giles (2007) indicated previously, I found out that a number one hit’s ‘life-at-the-top’ is enhanced significantly also when it is recorded by the black artists, or the PRIME RATE is stable or decreasing, or the GDP is growing.

So, I have submitted my paper to the journal, Applied Economic Letters, and it was published as follows.

Seo Bin Hong, “A comment on survival of the hippest: life at the top of the hot 100”, Applied Economics Letters, vol. 19, issue 11, 1 July 2012, pp. 1101-1105,

I have also passed the comprehensive examination in Microeconomics, with Distinction, at the end of the first year, in 2009, at San Diego State University.

I wanted to continue studying economics, so, I had applied for the PhD programs, in economics, in several universities, in the United States.
I had been accepted into the PhD program in economics, at Georgetown University, in 2012, with the full funding, with the full tuition waiver and the stipends. I was very happy to enter Georgetown University, in 2012, especially, because it seemed that I could study in the PhD program in economics, without worrying about paying for the tuition and the living expenses, which is really difficult, for the students who are not very rich.

With the thankfulness, I have done my best to perform better and better in the PhD program in economics at Georgetown University.
I studied very hard every day, even in the weekends, and I have gained the GPA of 3.71, at Georgetown University. I was especially good at econometrics, with the A's, both in econometrics I, which was taught by the good professor, Professor John Rust, and, econometrics II, which was taught by the good professor, Professor Guido Kuersteiner, in the first year, at Georgetown University.

But, it was not the happy ending at Georgetown University.
My class started with 9 students, and only 7 students of this class decided to take the comprehensive examinations, at the end of the first year, in 2013, at Georgetown University.

The comprehensive examinations of ECON 601 and ECON 602, taught by Professor Roger Lagunoff and Professor Luca Anderlini, were fair.
Actually, these two professors are not only good as a scholar, but also good as a person,

But, the problem was with the comprehensive examinations of ECON 605 and ECON 606.
At the first comprehensive examinations of these courses, taken, in late August in 2013, only 4 students of 7 students have passed it, and, the 3 students, including myself, had to take the second comprehensive examinations of these courses in late September in 2013.

The part of the second comprehensive examination, written by the professor who taught ECON 605, was not unusual, but, the part, written by the professor who taught ECON 606, was filled with the questions with a very different level of difficulty, compared to the comprehensive examinations, in the previous years.
However, when he graded the second comprehensive examinations, with the full authority, about the scores for the questions, written by himself, he has not taken the different level of difficulty into account, probably, on purpose, and, he decided to fail all the 3 students who took the second comprehensive examination, in 2013, at Georgetown University.

The students in my class have expressed the complaints, about this professor, during the classes of ECON 606, in the spring semester, in 2013, only, to raise the quality of the lectures, such that we have said that his voice is too small, and there are too many errors, in the lecture notes, but he has not corrected such things.
Moreover, when I asked him if he could upload the lecture notes, a little earlier, so that we could print the lecture notes, before the classes, as he has uploaded the lecture notes, just before the lectures started, he expressed the anger, openly, and, it was hard to understand if it was the kind of the things that the professor could respond with the anger, even if it was accepted by most other usual professors, in any universities, around the world, as the usual professors like the students who try to study harder to do better in his or her classes.

He failed all the 3 students. One of these 3 students, YJ, has studied economics for his undergraduate studies at Yonsei Univeristy, in South Korea, and has gained the A's, both for ECON 605 and ECON 606, and, I have gained the A-'s, both for ECON 605 and ECON 606.
So, if the comprehensive examinations had been fair, both of us could have passed it, without any difficulties.

So, due to the different level of difficulty, compared to the comprehensive examinations, in the previous years, YJ and I decided to write an appeal to examine the unfairness of the comprehensive examinations of ECON 605 and ECON 606, because we had to leave the PhD program, in economics, if the results were not corrected.

But, as in the lots of instances reported in the website, www.thefire.org, the appeals submitted to the university, were not an effective way to correct the unfairness, by the professor who taught ECON 606, in 2013, at Georgetown University.

If I had filed the lawsuit against this professor, in 2013, it could have worked, but I had not known how to file a lawsuit, at the time, and, I had not had the enough funds to pay for the attorneys, for the lawsuit, either.

With such unfairness, the only way that was left for us, was to apply for the different universities, with the lower rankings.
I have tried, but I was not able to write about the unfair comprehensive examinations, in 2013, at Georgetown University, in the statement of purpose, because the students are told to write in a positive way to raise the possibility of the acceptances.
So, it was a very hard process, to hide the real unfairness, and not to be able to write that I was good enough to pass the comprehensive examinations, actually, only, if there had not been such corruptions, by the professor who taught ECON 606, in 2013, at Georgetown University.
Also, as usual, with such a failure, caused by the corruptions, by the professor who taught ECON 606, in 2013, at Georgetown University, I was not able to get the admissions into the PhD programs, in the different universities, with the full funding.

Given that the average duration in the PhD program in economics, is about 6 years, if a student does not have the funding from the university, he or she has to pay about $40,000, for the tuition, and, about $24,000, for the living expenses, for a year, for the first three years, and, he or she has to pay about $10,000, for the tuition, and, about $24,000, for the living expenses, for a year, for the rest of the PhD program, which is about 3 years, so, he or she would need about $294,000, for studying in the PhD program, in economics, in the universities, without the funding.

I have tried to raise the funds, in South Korea, but, due to the specific job structures for the people with the master's degrees in economics, but, without the PhD degrees in economics, in South Korea, I was barely able to have the living expenses, but was not able to earn, more, to save the funds, to continue studying, in the PhD program, in economics, without the funding.

Anyone, who could understand this situation, could please help me to continue studying in the PhD program in economics, without worrying about the funding?

I would truly appreciate your kindness.

Thank you.


Sincerely,
Seo Bin Hong






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

,,,,

,,,,